tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r423967 - /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/connector/CoyoteAdapter.java
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:18:38 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Jean-frederic Clere wrote:
>>
>> Comments?
>
> Another tactic is to give up, and return an error code of some sort in
> Tomcat if the URL contains a path parameter (since they are not part of
> the path, are not handled properly, and have no useful usage at the
> moment).

+1 - this is a very reasonable suggestion; or, make it toggleable...

> The latest RFC (3986) gives an interesting example of usage: For
> example, one URI producer might use a segment such as "name;v=1.1" to
> indicate a reference to version 1.1 of "name".

... so the bleeding edge of technology user can do something like this above.

> Personally, I dislike the "optimized" mappings, like *.jsp, that in the
> end make the webapp non portable and full of security holes. I think
> full webapp mappings are preferable (and for static resources that
> "need" to be served by Apache, it still seems possible to me to use
> relative URLs to them - as if they were in a separate webapp).

+++1 - My personal favorite approach is more of a JkMountRequest /target
where this directive is deposited into a <Files > or <Location > block...
the same block that the user is likely to add security related permissions.

It leaves no ambiguity ;-)