tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excessive Lock/Unlock Traffic
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:47:24 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> I'm pretty sure Mladen didn't intentionally do a 'svn lock/unlock' on each
> file. Maybe his IDE did - he can
> comment on what commands he used to perform the operation.

$> svn lock trunk
$> svn propset ...
$> svn unlock trunk

> Changing a property on all files in a repository is a normal, legal
> operation that other
> projects may do ( tomcat will probably avoid this in future :-).

At least I won't do that any more.
I will rather depend on the atomic lock,
and advertising repository lock on tomcay-dev list, requesting
everyone to be patient for limited amount of time :)

> If you think svn is correct in sending lock/unlock/proppatch mails for each
> individual file ( without at least agreggating them ) - then
> it would be good to inform projects on what to expect, how to turn off mail
> before doing such changes, or
> how to do this kind of changes without locking.

That's the problem.
It's easy to be a general after the battle, saying
you don't need to use the svn lock, etc...
But according to the SVN manual its a perfectly
legitimate operation. Like said if I was aware of the
consequences I would never do it like I did.

Regards,
Mladen.