tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Shankar Unni <shankaru...@netscape.net>
Subject Re: Conflicts and JDT
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 19:39:56 GMT
Yoav Shapira wrote:

> There's also another reason: if we use JDT then we don't require users
> to have the complete JDK, only a JRE.  This is a big deal (perhaps
> even more important than the technical / performance benefits) from a
> licensing perspective, especially for people who repackage /
> redistribute Tomcat as part of their products.

<nitpick>
The Sun JDK license terms explicitly state that "tools.jar" is
redistributable along with the JRE. So technically, that shouldn't be a
reason for including the JDT.

On the other hand, I can see (a) convenience (using unmodified JRE
distributions with Tomcat), (b) performance (JDT's compiler is
supposedly faster), etc., as good reasons for including it.

 From java/jre/README.txt:

Redistribution of Java2 SDK Files.

The limited set of files from the SDK listed below may be included in
vendor redistributions of the Java 2 Runtime Environment.  All paths
are relative to the top-level directory of the SDK.
   - The javac bytecode compiler, consisting of the following files:
         bin/javac           [Solaris(TM) Operating Environment
                              and Linux]
         bin/sparcv9/javac   [Solaris Operating Environment
                              (SPARC(TM) Platform Edition)]
         bin/javac.exe       [Microsoft Windows]
         lib/tools.jar       [All platforms]
</nitpick>