tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NIO Connector, please review
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:52:08 GMT
On 6/22/06, Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org> wrote:

> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> > Ok, I have a non SSL enabled Java NIO connector created and checked in.
> > It works in the exact way as APR, meaning it blocks on read and write,
> > So its no true NIO, but close enough to handle comet style traffic, and
> > to increase the connection count without increasing thread count.
>
> I really see no usefulness in such a connector (even if it did work).
> The one and only benefit is that you get to use the JVM native vendor
> network proprietary code rather than the ASF open source code. Really
> cool :)

We also use JVM native code for java.lang, and in the old java.io connector
:-)

NIO code is open source as well - Classpath includes a decent
implementation.
The benefit is that nio, even if lower performance than APR, is part of the
jre and so it's slightly easier to use.
I think after the NIO connector is stable we should start deprecating the
old java.io connector.

Costin