tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NIO Connector, please review
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:34:05 GMT
On 6/19/06, Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org> wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > Maybe create a modules/ under tomcat6 - with the definition 'stuff that
> can
> > be
> > released independently, and may support older versions of tomcat as
> well'
> > Or just 'can be released independently'.
> >

> Hmm, I'm not very much in favor of that.
> If the 'module' is mature enough it commit frequency
> will be much lower then the rest of the project,
> and thats it. IMHO TC6 should be maintained as an
> entity. We can have multiple builds of course;
> light, medium, full, etc.. but the code should be
> once and for all in the common tree.
> It would require more responsibility from all the
> commiters, not to break other commiters code, but
> at the and of the day we should be OK with that.

I wasn't talking about code location -  java code can still be in
the java/ directory, and should at least compile ( or be excluded in
the javac statement ).

By modules/ I mean mostly release units - so maybe a build.xml to create
build and package the module, some readme, manifest, etc.  Tomcat  normal
release wouldn't include the module, but it can be released independently,
maybe
for multiple versions of tomcat.

Costin