tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Glen Marchesani" <gdml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: WebappLoader RFC
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:16:54 GMT
The IDE features you mention sound cool which one is it?  Any pointers/links
to how you got that setup?  Unfortunately for the environment I am working
in an IDE specific solution would be incomplete.  We have a broad range of
use cases (IDEs, OSes) as well as users where we need people to be able to
checkout a project and be productive with it in a minimal amount of time.
So doing IDE specific tweaks won't cut it.  Our solution has worked
extremely well with other app containers for example WebSphere, Resin and
Jetty (all three that we use) come with support for something like this out
of the box.

The IDE we use really depends on the customer, project and environment.  So
could be any of the following ant+text editors, eclipse, WSDC, and/or
netbeans...  We can seemlessly switch between any of these using this
technique by just adding the extendedClasspath line to the context and
dropping a jar in server/lib/ all of which is handled by our ant scripts.

I am all for continuing this tangential discussion of webapp development
techniques but it really is tangential to the intent of the original post..

Hot-code replace works fine in this scenario, I get the impression that you
think it doesn't.  As for your comments about future proofing.  I am very
confident that IDE's will from now on into the future will compile my .java
files to some directory on the disk and that this option will be
configurable and use some consistent default.  So this solution is
completely future-proof.

In all the "jar exporting to WEB-INF" stuff I have seen in various IDE's you
need to manually kick off that process so it is adding a step to the
edit-compile process.  Effectively adding a deploy step so you have
edit-compile-deploy.  Which is exactly what I am trying to avoid albeit if
it is properly contained in the IDE it is less of a headache.

I enjoy the discussion of good practices (I don't think there is a one size
fits all best practice here) for having a smooth development process so keep
it coming ;-)