tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: New Feature List
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:06:41 GMT
Definitely not by design :)
I'll take a look at it

Filip

Yong Gou wrote:
> Hi, Filip,
>
> When I used full fledged Tomcat 5.5.15 (i.e. standard edition) in an OSGi environment,
I found the thread pool of the ReplicationListener was not be destroyed when I stopped Tomcat.
So after I stopped and restarted Tomcat for a few times, the accumulated number of undestroyed
threads would increase accordingly. This resulted in serious memory leak in case of needing
stopping and restarting Tomcat in succession in a JVM within its single lifecycle.

> So I read the code of ReplicationListener.java and tried to figure out what is the problem.
I saw there is a start method which instantiates a ThreadPool instance but seems no matched
stop method provided to destroy the created instance. I am wondering is this a negligence
or by design for some reasons?

> In addition, a few other threads such as "Cluster-MembershipReceiver", "http-xxxx-Processor***"
and "TP-Processor*" were also not able to be destroyed in my case.

> I know with normal Tomcat usage, this might not be a problem since Tomcat stopping/restarting
implies JVM stopping/restarting, all threads and memory will get recycled after JVM has stopped.
But this is indeed a problem in my case.

> Thanks,
> Eric

Filip Hanik