tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Comet Model, DOS example
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:56:25 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>>> Right now I'm not hot about reading the data first in the container:
>>> if done, it should be in InputBuffer,
>> yes, that is how I suggested it to be done. The AprBuffer was reading
>> the socket data in my checkin.
>>
>>> but could mean automagically discarding data, which could become a
>>> very sneaky problem if the user doesn't code the right way but is
>>> interested in the data.
>> yes, I prefer delivering the data. option 1
>
> The point of your patch was not to preread the data as you are now
> claiming, but instead about accepting entity bodies from invalid
> requests. As I said, I prefer the current mechanism.
I see your point, and fair enough, chunked is the way to go for multi
client requests, brings a question to my mind. my patch delivered the
data. but if you don't wanna do that, you should at least discard the
data and never invoke read, (and maybe even terminate the connection)
and this is the problem I'm trying to address, to deliver or not to
deliver the data I can live with, as you are correct on the content
length, that was just one part of it, its the loop I'm trying to avoid.
Lets name that problem 1.

Problem 2. If the client aborts its connection while the async servlet
is writing, we have yet another VM crash.

I believe problem 1 and 2 are all valid problems, and if you don't mind,
I'll delve deeper into these to see how we can avoid them. I'll provide
patches for review,
how does that sound,

Filip

--