tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Comet Model
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 23:55:47 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> all, I have made a little image that would explain the idea I have
>> (and implemented today) for the Tomcat model, would like to get some
>> feedback,
>>
>> Remy and I already have an open dialogue, but its subjected under a
>> commit, so if you didn't read that one, this one has a nice pix
>> also available at http://www.halosg.com/Comet.png
>>
>> this doesn't break the original Comet model, it is backwards
>> compatible, yet it extends a little bit further making it more useful
>> for no latency lagging
>
> There is no difference at all, this is still Comet (yes, you can get
> two read events in a row).
yes, but to do so, you would be required to pre calculate the content
length for the 2 (or N events), and if the server hasn't responded
(since its async) you can't send the 2nd event as you could start a new
HTTP request on the same connection when there hasn't been a response.
So to open your self up for async push for both client and server, you
omit content length, or set it to an extremely large value.

see where I am getting it?

Filip