tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Time for 4.1.32?
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:12:11 GMT
I know I've said it before, and I know Roy would wig out - but I'm not wigging
out, just trying to educate :)  This wasn't a release vote, it was a poll.

It's always good to have a poll ("Should we try a beta now?") - you know that
nobody has something they needed another few days to work on.  Or maybe someone
goes ahead and commits some code they had in a checkout, that just needed a bit
more testing first.  That's cool :)

But the ASF votes on source code tarballs, we don't vote on trees, or the state
of trees, or the good of having more releases from a particular branch.

Anytime a committer wants, they are absolutely free to tag the tree and tar the
build.  But at that moment, it's a 'plain old tarball', it's not a release (even
if there was a vote beforehand like this one.)

Announce the tarball and ask for a release vote.  (To avoid confusion, I'd
really encourage the project to create an http://tomcat.apache.org/dev/dist/
location for such things - but those details are entirely up to you all.)

When the *tarball* has 3 +1's, more + than -, it's a release, an honest to
goodness release.  If you want to offer folks to vote on alpha/beta/ga that
is ok too.  [Acutally, 4.1 is so stable, I wonder if beta makes any sense
anymore, unless some refactoring introduced some new uncertainty.]

I keep rehashing this, because of my role on incubator.  If established projects
can't get it right - what hope have we for our podlings who are just learning.

So -do- cut the tarball, but please conduct a vote on the release image,
not on the state of svn.  It looks like you have lots of willing folks to vote
on that release :)

Thanks for stepping up to RM this, Mark!

Bill