tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Binary build procedures
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 20:35:30 GMT
Hi,

> As it turns out there is a second motivation for building everything from
> source, and that is so if something goes wrong, we can find the problem and
> fix it.  If we go through all the hoops now, then we won't have this
> additional problem when we are hurrying to fix and issue.

Just out of curiosity, when you say above "if something goes wrong" do
you mean with your stuff or with the Tomcat build?

> In light of this, I was wondering if there was a way to not include the
> eclipse stuff.  Is there an option to use just the Sun JDK compiler?  I
> doesn't look like that is an option in the build.xml file.  However, even if
> it has to be included to make the build happy, is there a runtime
> configuration for this?

To be clear: when building Tomcat distributions, the Sun JDK compiler
is used.  The Eclipse compiler is used only to compile JSPs at runtime
on a running Tomcat server.  And yes, you can choose to use the Sun
JDK compiler at runtime instead of the Eclipse one: RTFM on the
"compiler" option at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jasper-howto.html.

Yoav