tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: URLStreamHandler and ContentHandler
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 14:07:07 GMT
Hola,

> > Mmm, I'd hate having endorsed classes depend on commons-logging ;(
>
> Could you expand this thought?

It's a simple thought, like I said, shooting from the hip.
Commons-Logging has an unfortunate history
(http://www.qos.ch/logging/thinkAgain.jsp), and the deeper / higher it
is on the classpath, the worse the potential.  It doesn't get much
deeper on the classpath than the endorsed repository, so putting
commons-logging there made me instinctively cringe a bit.

Now, commons-logging has been getting better with time, and I give
credit to its maintainers for this, but there are some fundamental
classloading issues at play here...

Yoav