tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Binary build procedures
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 21:14:09 GMT
Hola,

On 5/23/06, Mark Claassen <mclaassen@ocie.net> wrote:
> Thanks for your help.  I am convinced, however I am not the one that needs
> convincing.  Do you have any idea if other companies trust the binary
> builds?  (Is this 'paranoia' unique to my company?)

It's not unique to your company, but in the minority AFAIK: in my
experience, almost every company I know that uses Tomcat uses the
binary builds.  People tend to use the source builds only for
customizations, redistributions, etc.

> So I have all my ducks in a row, I have been looking into the src and binary
> distros a bit further, I noticed the tomcat-native library is included as
> source in the binary distro as a tar.gz file.  Is this a necessary component
> of Tomcat?  What is it for?  The only platform specific files I found in the
> binary distro were the scripts and the Windows startup executable.

The native connector is not a necessary component, it's optional.
RTFM it at  http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/apr.html.

Yoav