tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TC 6: What needs to be done?
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 17:13:45 GMT
On 5/5/06, Jess Holle <jessh@ptc.com> wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > On 5/5/06, Jess Holle <jessh@ptc.com> wrote:
> > AFAIK XMLEncoder/XMLDecoder will save all the attributes, and lose
> > comments
> > in the round trip.
> Yep.  I'm not trying to save comments in my case -- just configuration
> values.
>
> What I feel is missing is that I persist *values*.  I cannot persist the
> notion that the value was obtained via $(propertyName) substitution in
> the XML, for example.

Yes, that's hard. It may be possible to preserve them when using DOM if the
user
didn't change them - but if the user sets a value the $() is lost.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "having only the modified elements".
>
> XMLEncoder only saves attributes that differ from their default values,
> if that's what you mean.

I didn't know this - how does it find the defaults ? I'm not talking only
about
default values of a property, but also in the object hierarchy, tomcat
creates a lot
of components by default, if you don't specify a manager or logger, a
default one
will be created. Seems pretty specific to tomcat - can't see how XMLEncoder
would
guess that.

Costin