tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TC 6: What needs to be done?
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 16:25:53 GMT
On 5/5/06, Jess Holle <jessh@ptc.com> wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > On 5/5/06, Rainer Jung <tomcat-dev@kippdata.de> wrote:
> >> 1) Configuration Management
> >> ===========================
> >>
> >> My impreesion is, that to much configuration is hard-coded in RuleSet
> >> classes. Of course everyone can easily add properties to existing
> >> components, but adding subcomponents nedds changes in core RuleSet
> >> classes. Am I wrong? Should we change that to allow more complex
> >> subsystems handling their configuration rules independently of the core?
> >> One such example is the current stable clusster module.
> > IMO the entire server.xml and RuleSet should be deprecated, and replaced
> > with JMX. We could keep current server.xml around, for compat - but at
> > least not
> > extend it.
> >
> > Even the very limited MLET syntax can support most of our needs.
> >
> > RuleSets are just a way to set attributes ( == jmx setters ) and
> > define hierarchy
> > of componets ( == can be done based on JMX names, in a more dynamic way )
> I'd generally tend to agree, but suggest that thought be given not just
> on elegant configuration but also on the ability to change things via
> JMX and then *save* the results as an updated configuration.

'save' is on my list for about 2 years now :-)

But this would be the second step - after we use JMX to set up tomcat instead
of server.xml.

> There is a tradeoff here, though.  Elegant configurations generally
> can't be reproduced via fairly simple save mechanisms, i.e.
> roundtripping of the data becomes an issue.

That's true. At one end you have the windows registry, the other -
custom config files that
are very unfriendly to programs. There is something in the middle -
maybe apple-style config
files, or XML.

My old plan was to use something like MLET, and DOM to read/save ( so
most of comments/structure is preserved ).

> >> 6) Timeline
> >> ===========
> >>
> >> How much we will change for TC 6 also depends on how much time we are
> >> willing to give it. Is there any time limit we should preserve, to
> >> deliver a JEE 5 web container not too far behind the standard approval?
> >> I assujme everyone wants TC 6 to show up before end of the year (beta),
> >> but how much earlier will it need to be available?
> I'm more interested in availability of full support for the new servlet
> and JSP standards in a fast, stable, scalable
> Tomcat release than anything else.

+1

Everything else can be done incrementally, in future releases.

And it's even better if cluster, etc are separate module, with
separate release cycle - this way they won't block or add extra
overhead to tomcat release.

Costin