tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Core webapps and clustering
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 15:09:06 GMT
As someone who used OSGI quite heavily in the past - I hope I'll
never have to touch it again :-), and certainly not in tomcat...
The _concept_ is good - components, dynamic binding, etc  - but OSGI is
a framework like all others, it wants the whole world to change to it's model.
Sort of an Avalon :-).

Regarding modularity - we already have a lot of modularity in the code, with
plenty of hooks and components. What we don't have is deployment modularity -
ability to package and deploy modules like cluster, connectors, valves
in a consistent
way.

I also agree with Remy - we shouldn't be a Jboss/Geronimo clone - but
that doesn't
mean we shouldn't try to be more modular and support some of the good things in
osgi/jboss/geronimo.

JMX is currently the only API that I know that  allows this without
beeing a 'you have to
do it only my way' framework like osgi or avalon ( and so many more ).
Well, they do
have a bit of that - but so far modeler ( with all its problems ) was
able to shield us from
most of it.

So all I'm proposing is to just make small adjustments - fix modeler,
small packaging changes,
use modeler/jmx more for component configuration ( and less server.xml
/ tomcat-specific formats ).

Costin