tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Core webapps and clustering
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 18:23:35 GMT
On 5/4/06, Peter Rossbach <pr@objektpark.de> wrote:
> I think we can merge both cluster and storeconfig modules to new tc
> 6. For current user it is easier.
>
> Only change is that new ha cluster module are packaged as seperate
> jar (name change a build.xml) and we must change the bootstrap logic
> at config parsing. I think user better switch cluster implementation
> with system.properties as autodetect a class. Then testing
> current and new cluster module are a lot easier.

Could you explain a bit ?

My understanding is that ha is an optional feature, that users can
turn on - i.e.
sort of a separate module, with no dependency between tomcat and ha.

For modules - I assumed that each of them is a JMX component, that can
be configured using only JMX calls. I.e. no system.properties or other change
to bootstrap logic.

If this is not the case - why and can we fix it ?

Re: moving the code to the src/ tree - I'm not very sure. I think it
was a clear benefit to
have all core tomcat components in the same tree - i.e. connectors,
jasper, catalina.
But I think it would also be good to have a separate 'modules' and
'webapps' area, and
keep them separate, at least for things that are not required for a
basic tomcat. Or at least for things that have external deps, or are
big.

Costin