tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ongoing stuff
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 17:10:29 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> For those of us who don't know much about 'comet' - could you explain a bit
> more ?
> A small example, some pointers to what APIs are needed ( if it's not
> service
> ),
> why service doesn't work, etc.

There's some documentation here:
http://alex.dojotoolkit.org/wp-content/LowLatencyData.pdf

The (only) actually useful capability is of course to push back data at
any time. To replicate the same with regular servlets, you need a
forever running service method, which doesn't work that well. It's
really evil-hype-powered stuff, and I think it's all your company's fault :(

However, since my attempts at SIP (which has the same biderectional
capabilities without the hacks, of course) miserably failed, and since
it's not too hard to implement in the APR connectors, I think it should
be done (the API right now is an interface that the servlet should
implement, but I plan to provide a ready to use abstract servlet which
should be easy to work with).

Rémy