tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Ongoing stuff
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 09:59:43 GMT
Hi,

I am proposing to add a new feature in the development branch to support
comet (aka, being able to push data on a HTTP connection, outside of the
execution of the service method of the servlet). Certain applications
require this sort of capability (like gtalk; to be honest, I don't know
that many apps which need it) and since usage of the HTTP (or AJP)
connector is exclusive, it is not possible to really implement this sort
of thing with Servlets. I would have liked to use SIP and SIP Servlets
for this usage, but it looks like it's not going to happen. The feature
will require APR to work in the intended way, but the wrapper servlet
that I will use to present the functionality to the user should work
with the regular java.io connectors (using a thread per connection, of
course). In some ways, it is a bit similar to the sendfile addition, so
it's probably useful, but proprietary.

I will then:
- do some spring cleaning in the code (externalizing hardcoded strings, etc)
- try to lower the memory usage of a processor

Rémy