tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Core webapps and clustering
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 03:34:24 GMT
I'd thought I'd chip in my 2 cents,

1. I don't think we should keep maintaining two clustering modules in TC6,
   the old one has too many limitations, I would leave it as a module
since its stable,
   but I don't have any plans of trying to beat the dead horse and try
to make it do
   something it wasn't built to do.
   The new "ha" module, which is far from complete is trying to address
most of these
   limitations, but also extend to features like context attribute
replication,
   probably a second attempt at farming, delta versioning and many other
features.

2. I would integrate the new "ha" module into the main tree
   as Remy suggested, easier to catch when it breaks,
   and session,context and other data management is something that
   is pretty intimate with Tomcat's code base

3. I was gonna make the "comm" layer, default to tribes
   but be pluggable, if someone prefers to use something else, like
Appia, Spread, jgroups etc.
   To avoid more server.xml clutter,
   I was simply thinking of binding the comm layer into the
   JNDI tree as a regular resource so that resources simply
   can look it up and take advantage of it. That way, when tomcat is
embedded,
   that container would probably want to share this comm resource, and
they are
   able to through JNDI.

4. JMX, yes, hit it on the nail, there is nothing pluggable about
tomcat's JMX right now,
   For example, MBeanUtils.createObjectName(String,Connector), if the
connector does not
   contain the string "CoyoteConnector" it simply throws a
MalformedObjectNameException
   So this area would need to be revisited in large before it would be
something like
   Rickard Oberg created for JBoss that made it so pluggable through JMX
and MBeans,
   geronimo has something similar through their GBeans/XBeans.
   On a personal note, I think JMX should do monitoring and I think
injection can be done in
   many more ways. but that is a philosophical point.

I do see the benefit of adding the new cluster module "ha" to the main
tree, and I would support that effort.
I would keep the old "cluster" module as a module, eventually sunsetting
it. I would keep "groupcom" as a module
as this is not really a core tomcat feature, but providing the
context/session management is.

have a great Friday folks!

Filip