tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache Tomcat v5.5.17-beta Now Available
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:27:38 GMT
Hola,
I don't mind changing the process, but as the other Bill noted, what
we've been doing for a while is:

- Gather consensus in public on the dev list by asking "is this an OK
time for a release."  We agree on a date and time.  It's not a formal
[VOTE] thread, but we do this practically every time and people do +1
or -1 it.  I can send archive thread references if needed.
- Cut the release in some preliminary (alpha or beta, depending on the
RM's assessment of the magnitude of changes included since the
previous release) form, announce it in order to encourage testing by
committers and non-committers alike,
- And then have a stability vote about a week later, once people have
had time to test it.

I didn't establish this process, but I've been continuing it, so I
take some responsibility if we've violated some rule.  But my
understanding is that we did have PMC consensus to make every release.
 We can codify it more formally in a VOTE thread from now on if need
be, I suppose there's no harm in that.

Yoav

On 4/19/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Bill Barker wrote:
> > "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Whoa :)  I don't see a vote thread?
> >>
> >>alpha, beta, gamma, gold, it doesn't matter... any "tarball release" from
> >>the
> >>Apache Software Foundation must be preceeded by a vote.  <snip long
> >>explanation>
> >>

> > Long established practice in Tomcat-land:  The 5.5.17 release is currently
> > nothing but a tarball (and, so we call it Alpha).  Yoav will probably call a
> > vote later in the week, or next.  At that point it will get a GA/Beta/Still
> > Alpha rating.
>
> Aye I understand that - I'm stating it's not valid at the ASF to push something
> at Announce@ anylist until dev@ makes a (initial) decision, e.g. you could do
> the first vote for alpha, second vote for beta, third vote for GA, or ballot all
> three choices (choosing the 'best' rating with 3 +1 and more + than -, or what
> have you).  How you vote is up to the project.  Not voting isn't a choice within
> the foundation.  Essentially, the RM personally hangs their ass out to dry by
> posting such an announcement, because the ASF protection ("It's -our- code, not
> a specific individuals - yell at -us-, we'll duke it out in court etc") only
> kicks in once the voting process is followed.
>
> Bill

Yoav Shapira
Nimalex LLC
1 Mifflin Place, Suite 310