tomcat-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat & JDK for PDA arm processor
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:21:54 GMT
I'll try to find and make available my old Zaurus version of tomcat -
but it's based on 3.3..

For 5.x - it's not easy... First step is to choose a VM - if you go
with full JDK ( i.e. using JamVM+classpath ) you could run tomcat as
is ( or better - the single-jar version from sandbox), but it'll be
very slow to start, and may run out of memory.

I'm still working on a 'light' version - but it's going to take few
more months at least. I gave up on repackaging the current code, there
are too many deps - and I also gave up on 'coyote standalone', for
different reasons I think both are dead ends. So I'm reviving an old
idea - and try to create a light 'servlet facade' to coyote, based on
the current code but removing most deps.

IMO you should try a different approach for your app - I doubt you
have many chances to do anything by running a servlet engine on a PDA.
I spent few years working on phones and embedded devices, including a
lot of java -  it just doesn't work well unless you write the code
specifically for the device.

Using a standard browser and HTML for UI on a PDA is a good strategy,
but you should start with a very light http server ( even java ) and
specific code. I remember kHttpd - a very, very light http impl,
compatible with J2ME as well ( but can work with small changes in
regular VM ) - it's few Kb.

Costin

On 4/20/06, Tom Miller <tom@hostwebase.com> wrote:
> Costin,
>
> I need to build a small (lightweight) version of Tomcat 5.x
> for PDA arm processor.  Can you give me some lead on how to
> go about it please.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>
> ---- Original message ----
> >Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:13:35 -0700
> >From: "Costin Manolache" <costin@apache.org>
> >Subject: Re: Tomcat & JDK for PDA arm processor
> >To: tom@hostwebase.com
> >Cc: "Tomcat Developers List" <dev@tomcat.apache.org>
> >
> >On 4/13/06, Tom Miller <tom@hostwebase.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Where did you get the JDK for tomcat?
> >
> >Compiled it myself, it's pretty easy.
> >
> >jamvm.sf.net and the classpath project ( I think @fsf.org ).
> >
> >I actually did a straight compile, not a cross on this
> case, since I
> >had the big hdd and usb2, but cross should work fine too.
> >
> >
> >>
> >> >
> >> >I don't know what's your use case,
> >>
> >>
> >> I need a servlet engine.
> >
> >Well, what do you intend to do with it ? Keep in mind it's
> going to
> >use most of the device memory, and will be relatively slow.
> >
> >
> >Costin
> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> >but keep in mind tomcat ( and java
> >> >in general ) has a large memory footprint. If all you
> need
> >> is an HTTP
> >> >server - it is better to use only the coyote connector (
> >> with some
> >> >custom code ). Or even write your own tiny-http - you
> really
> >> don't
> >> >need support for large concurrency or all the fancy
> features.
> >> >
> >> >You may get better performances with CVM, which has much
> >> smaller
> >> >footprint - but it may not work well with current tomcat.
> >> >
> >> >Java on PDA is very tricky,  make sure you have plenty of
> >> memory (
> >> >i.e. 64M :-).
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >Costin
> >> >
> >> >On 4/13/06, Tom Miller <tom@hostwebase.com> wrote:
> >> >> Costin,
> >> >>
> >> >> Do you have a built version of tomcat and other
> necessary
> >> >> requirements information to run on a PDA?  What PDA
> was it?
> >> >> Please share the information.
> >> >>
> >> >> Thanks inadvance,
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> Tom
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> >
> >> >> >I tested it with jamvm+classpath on NSLU2, should run
> fine
> >> >> on zaurus as well.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >Startup time is a bit slow, and memory use is a bit
> high -
> >> >> but it
> >> >> >works reasonably
> >> >> >well.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >I would suggest the sandbox version for this :-).
> >> >> >
> >> >> >The main problem on PDAs is the flash access speed,
> which
> >> is
> >> >> much
> >> >> >smaller than HDD,
> >> >> >so size of the jar and number of classes loaded
> matters a
> >> >> lot.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >Costin
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >> >On 4/13/06, Tom Miller <tom@hostwebase.com> wrote:
> >> >> >> Greetings,
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> Do we have a binary version of Tomcat build for PDA
> >> (ipaq
> >> >> or
> >> >> >> sharp zaurus) arm processor?  If not can some one
> help?
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> Does anyone know where I can get a JDK for PDA?
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> Thanks,
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> Tom
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> ---- Original message ----
> >> >> >> >Date: 13 Apr 2006 19:05:04 -0000
> >> >> >> >From: dev-help@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >> >Subject: WELCOME to dev@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >> >To: tom@hostwebase.com
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
> >> >> >> >dev@tomcat.apache.org mailing list.
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >I'm working for my owner, who can be reached
> >> >> >> >at dev-owner@tomcat.apache.org.
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >Acknowledgment: I have added the address
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >   tom@hostwebase.com
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >to the dev mailing list.
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >Welcome to dev@tomcat.apache.org!
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >Please save this message so that you know the
> address
> >> you
> >> >> are
> >> >> >> >subscribed under, in case you later want to
> >> unsubscribe or
> >> >> >> change your
> >> >> >> >subscription address.
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >--- Administrative commands for the dev list ---
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >I can handle administrative requests automatically.
> >> Please
> >> >> >> >do not send them to the list address! Instead, send
> >> >> >> >your message to the correct command address:
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >To subscribe to the list, send a message to:
> >> >> >> >   <dev-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >To remove your address from the list, send a
> message
> >> to:
> >> >> >> >   <dev-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >Send mail to the following for info and FAQ for
> this
> >> list:
> >> >> >> >   <dev-info@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >   <dev-faq@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >Similar addresses exist for the digest list:
> >> >> >> >   <dev-digest-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >   <dev-digest-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >To get messages 123 through 145 (a maximum of 100
> per
> >> >> >> request), mail:
> >> >> >> >   <dev-get.123_145@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >To get an index with subject and author for
> messages
> >> 123-
> >> >> >> 456 , mail:
> >> >> >> >   <dev-index.123_456@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >They are always returned as sets of 100, max 2000
> per
> >> >> >> request,
> >> >> >> >so you'll actually get 100-499.
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >To receive all messages with the same subject as
> >> message
> >> >> >> 12345,
> >> >> >> >send an empty message to:
> >> >> >> >   <dev-thread.12345@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >The messages do not really need to be empty, but I
> will
> >> >> >> ignore
> >> >> >> >their content. Only the ADDRESS you send to is
> >> important.
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >You can start a subscription for an alternate
> address,
> >> >> >> >for example "john@host.domain", just add a hyphen
> and
> >> your
> >> >> >> >address (with '=' instead of '@') after the command
> >> word:
> >> >> >> ><dev-subscribe-john=host.domain@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >To stop subscription for this address, mail:
> >> >> >> ><dev-unsubscribe-
> john=host.domain@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >In both cases, I'll send a confirmation message to
> that
> >> >> >> address. When
> >> >> >> >you receive it, simply reply to it to complete your
> >> >> >> subscription.
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >If despite following these instructions, you do
> not get
> >> >> the
> >> >> >> >desired results, please contact my owner at
> >> >> >> >dev-owner@tomcat.apache.org. Please be patient, my
> >> owner
> >> >> is a
> >> >> >> >lot slower than I am ;-)
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >--- Enclosed is a copy of the request I received.
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >Return-Path: <tom@hostwebase.com>
> >> >> >> >Received: (qmail 61892 invoked by uid 99); 13 Apr
> 2006
> >> >> >> 19:05:04 -0000
> >> >> >> >Received: from asf.osuosl.org (HELO asf.osuosl.org)
> >> >> >> (140.211.166.49)
> >> >> >> >    by apache.org (qpsmtpd/0.29) with ESMTP; Thu,
> 13
> >> Apr
> >> >> >> 2006 12:05:04 -0700
> >> >> >> >X-ASF-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=10.0
> >> >> >> >       tests=UNPARSEABLE_RELAY
> >> >> >> >X-Spam-Check-By: apache.org
> >> >> >> >Received-SPF: pass (asf.osuosl.org: local policy)
> >> >> >> >Received: from [192.217.230.200] (HELO mail.e-
> >> >> >> integration.net) (192.217.230.200)
> >> >> >> >    by apache.org (qpsmtpd/0.29) with ESMTP; Thu,
> 13
> >> Apr
> >> >> >> 2006 12:05:03 -0700
> >> >> >> >Received: from mail.e-integration.net (localhost.e-
> >> >> >> integration.net [127.0.0.1])
> >> >> >> >       by mail.e-integration.net (MOS 3.4.4-GR)
> >> >> >> >       with ESMTP id CTM74520;
> >> >> >> >       Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:04:42 -0400 (EDT)
> >> >> >> >Received: from 136.1.1.101
> >> >> >> >       by mail.e-integration.net (MOS 3.4.4-GR)
> >> >> >> >       with HTTPS/1.1;
> >> >> >> >       Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:04:42 -0400
> >> >> >> >Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:04:42 -0400
> >> >> >> >From: Tom Miller <tom@hostwebase.com>
> >> >> >> >Subject: Re: confirm subscribe to
> dev@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >> >To: dev-sc.1144953074.mlcdamofobhehlnnompg-
> >> >> >> tom=hostwebase.com@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >> >Reply-To: tom@hostwebase.com
> >> >> >> >X-Mailer: Webmail Mirapoint Direct 3.4.4-GR
> >> >> >> >MIME-Version: 1.0
> >> >> >> >Message-Id: <c559d5ad.a877bd7c.8208a00@mail.e-
> >> >> >> integration.net>
> >> >> >> >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> >> >> >> >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> >> >> >> >X-Virus-Checked: Checked by ClamAV on apache.org
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >
> >> >> >> >---- Original message ----
> >> >> >> >>Date: 13 Apr 2006 18:31:14 -0000
> >> >> >> >>From: dev-help@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >> >>Subject: confirm subscribe to
> dev@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >> >>To: tom@hostwebase.com
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
> >> >> >> >>dev@tomcat.apache.org mailing list.
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>I'm working for my owner, who can be reached
> >> >> >> >>at dev-owner@tomcat.apache.org.
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>To confirm that you would like
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>   tom@hostwebase.com
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>added to the dev mailing list, please send
> >> >> >> >>an empty reply to this address:
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>   dev-sc.1144953074.mlcdamofobhehlnnompg-
> >> >> >> >tom=hostwebase.com@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>Usually, this happens when you just hit
> the "reply"
> >> >> button.
> >> >> >> >>If this does not work, simply copy the address and
> >> paste
> >> >> it
> >> >> >> >into
> >> >> >> >>the "To:" field of a new message.
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>or click here:
> >> >> >> >>      mailto:dev-
> sc.1144953074.mlcdamofobhehlnnompg-
> >> >> >> >tom=hostwebase.com@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>This confirmation serves two purposes. First, it
> >> verifies
> >> >> >> >that I am able
> >> >> >> >>to get mail through to you. Second, it protects
> you in
> >> >> case
> >> >> >> >someone
> >> >> >> >>forges a subscription request in your name.
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>Some mail programs are broken and cannot handle
> long
> >> >> >> >addresses. If you
> >> >> >> >>cannot reply to this request, instead send a
> message
> >> to
> >> >> >> >><dev-request@tomcat.apache.org> and put the
> >> >> >> >>entire address listed above into the "Subject:"
> line.
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>--- Administrative commands for the dev list ---
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>I can handle administrative requests
> automatically.
> >> >> Please
> >> >> >> >>do not send them to the list address! Instead,
> send
> >> >> >> >>your message to the correct command address:
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>To subscribe to the list, send a message to:
> >> >> >> >>   <dev-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>To remove your address from the list, send a
> message
> >> to:
> >> >> >> >>   <dev-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>Send mail to the following for info and FAQ for
> this
> >> >> list:
> >> >> >> >>   <dev-info@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>   <dev-faq@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>Similar addresses exist for the digest list:
> >> >> >> >>   <dev-digest-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>   <dev-digest-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>To get messages 123 through 145 (a maximum of 100
> per
> >> >> >> >request), mail:
> >> >> >> >>   <dev-get.123_145@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>To get an index with subject and author for
> messages
> >> 123-
> >> >> >> >456 , mail:
> >> >> >> >>   <dev-index.123_456@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>They are always returned as sets of 100, max 2000
> per
> >> >> >> >request,
> >> >> >> >>so you'll actually get 100-499.
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>To receive all messages with the same subject as
> >> message
> >> >> >> >12345,
> >> >> >> >>send an empty message to:
> >> >> >> >>   <dev-thread.12345@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>The messages do not really need to be empty, but I
> >> will
> >> >> >> >ignore
> >> >> >> >>their content. Only the ADDRESS you send to is
> >> important.
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>You can start a subscription for an alternate
> address,
> >> >> >> >>for example "john@host.domain", just add a hyphen
> and
> >> >> your
> >> >> >> >>address (with '=' instead of '@') after the
> command
> >> word:
> >> >> >> >><dev-subscribe-john=host.domain@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>To stop subscription for this address, mail:
> >> >> >> >><dev-unsubscribe-
> john=host.domain@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>In both cases, I'll send a confirmation message to
> >> that
> >> >> >> >address. When
> >> >> >> >>you receive it, simply reply to it to complete
> your
> >> >> >> >subscription.
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>If despite following these instructions, you do
> not
> >> get
> >> >> the
> >> >> >> >>desired results, please contact my owner at
> >> >> >> >>dev-owner@tomcat.apache.org. Please be patient, my
> >> owner
> >> >> is
> >> >> >> a
> >> >> >> >>lot slower than I am ;-)
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>--- Enclosed is a copy of the request I received.
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>Return-Path: <tom@hostwebase.com>
> >> >> >> >>Received: (qmail 72183 invoked by uid 99); 13 Apr
> 2006
> >> >> >> >18:31:14 -0000
> >> >> >> >>Received: from asf.osuosl.org (HELO
> asf.osuosl.org)
> >> >> >> >(140.211.166.49)
> >> >> >> >>    by apache.org (qpsmtpd/0.29) with ESMTP; Thu,
> 13
> >> Apr
> >> >> >> >2006 11:31:14 -0700
> >> >> >> >>X-ASF-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=10.0
> >> >> >> >>      tests=UNPARSEABLE_RELAY
> >> >> >> >>X-Spam-Check-By: apache.org
> >> >> >> >>Received-SPF: pass (asf.osuosl.org: local policy)
> >> >> >> >>Received: from [192.217.230.200] (HELO mail.e-
> >> >> >> >integration.net) (192.217.230.200)
> >> >> >> >>    by apache.org (qpsmtpd/0.29) with ESMTP; Thu,
> 13
> >> Apr
> >> >> >> >2006 11:31:13 -0700
> >> >> >> >>Received: from mail.e-integration.net
> (localhost.e-
> >> >> >> >integration.net [127.0.0.1])
> >> >> >> >>      by mail.e-integration.net (MOS 3.4.4-GR)
> >> >> >> >>      with ESMTP id CTM74378;
> >> >> >> >>      Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:30:52 -0400 (EDT)
> >> >> >> >>Received: from 136.1.1.101
> >> >> >> >>      by mail.e-integration.net (MOS 3.4.4-GR)
> >> >> >> >>      with HTTPS/1.1;
> >> >> >> >>      Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:30:52 -0400
> >> >> >> >>Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:30:52 -0400
> >> >> >> >>From: Tom Miller <tom@hostwebase.com>
> >> >> >> >>Subject: subscribe
> >> >> >> >>To: dev-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >> >>Reply-To: tom@hostwebase.com
> >> >> >> >>X-Mailer: Webmail Mirapoint Direct 3.4.4-GR
> >> >> >> >>MIME-Version: 1.0
> >> >> >> >>Message-Id: <4c5a8503.a874a484.81bcb00@mail.e-
> >> >> >> >integration.net>
> >> >> >> >>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> >> >> >> >>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> >> >> >> >>X-Virus-Checked: Checked by ClamAV on apache.org
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> >>
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> ----------------------------------------------------
> ----
> >> ---
> >> >> ----------
> >> >> >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-
> >> unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-
> >> help@tomcat.apache.org
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >>
> >> >>
> >>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@tomcat.apache.org
>
>
Mime
View raw message