tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r392872 - /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/build.xml
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:35:58 GMT
On 4/11/06, Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org> wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > What about: keep them excluded in the build target for tomcat, but add a
> > separate target to build only javamail-dependent classes, and package them in
> > a separate jar.
> >
> > That would keep 'core' tomcat clean, and would work for other kind of
> > modules that have external deps.
> >
> > It would be even better if we could just move them in a separate
> > package - for example
> > org.apache.tomcat.modules.mail, and exclude o.a.t.modules from the
> > core build. Everything that will have external deps, and maybe things
> > that are not essential could go there.
>
> This is a possibility, but maybe there are solutions in this particular
> case.

The solution depends on how you define the problem :-)

If you think the problem is to compile javamail dependent code - you
are right, dummy or
link would work. Next problem would be how people could use it - even
if it is in tomcat,
they'll need to download additional jars, etc.

I define the problem as "this should be an optional component, not
really required by
the spec or used by majority of users". The people who use it are
likely to be in a J2EE
environment where they have javamail, and could easily have the
additional tomcat module.

Costin