tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <>
Subject Re: Memory usage Tomcat 3.3 vs 5.5
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:20:06 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> On 4/25/06, Remy Maucherat <> wrote:
>> Costin Manolache wrote:
>>> Not sure what is the plan for commons-modeler, I think it is worth to
>>> bring it back to tomcat or fork a separate implementation
>> Modeler is now in the tomcat.util package in the new repository, so you
>> can try to improve it if you'd like to. One first change I made is that
>> it uses the digester to read the descriptors (rather than DOM).
> I'll take a look, maybe we don't really need model mbeans.
Standard MBeans default to caching MBeanInfo on a per-instance, rather
than per-interface or per-implementation-class basis.

I'd suspect that ModelMBeans have a similar issue by default.

I'd guess the same MBeanInfo is used for all instances based on a given
target class.  In that case, it should be possible to cache/share on
that basis, which should reduce the memory MBeanInfo related portion of
the footprint from sum(targetType1*nObjectsOfType1,...)*mbeanInfoSize to
simply nTargetTypes*mbeanInfoSize.

Jess Holle