tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Memory usage Tomcat 3.3 vs 5.5
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:12:55 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> I have to disagree with any statement like this - nobody can decide that his
> use case is the 'main' use case for tomcat.
>
> Yes, tomcat is used in a lot of production environments where speed
> and manageability
> are important. But it is also used by developers ( and I suspect for
> each production site
> you have few dozen developer instances ), it is used in IDEs like
> eclipse/idea/etc.
> Tomcat is also used to deploy large number of very small apps, or
> small number of large apps, or small set of small apps :-)
>
> Not sure what is the plan for commons-modeler, I think it is worth to
> bring it back to tomcat or fork a separate implementation, not using
> model mbeans and simplifying the model.
> I think JMX is a great tool, and is essential to support it - but
> there are ways to do it
> without bloat, and it's a valid target for optimizations.

More power to such efforts as well.

I just see performance/scalability, management functionality,
robustness, spec compliance, etc, as higher priorities.

If there is time and energy, I'd love see to all redundant MBeanInfo
objects eliminated such that a single instance was used in all cases
where the MBeanInfo is identical.  There certainly is no point to having
such a see of small, long-lived, redundant data objects cluttering up
the heap.

--
Jess Holle