tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r395980 - in /tomcat/container/tc5.5.x: catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/session/ManagerBase.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:22:53 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> there is no need to create a branch as we have a replacement module
>> modules/ha with the exact same code base, that was created so that
>> refactoring could be done on clustering code.
>> This new module is the obvious choice for refactoring, and if
>> successful, we can vote to backport or not to the stable module.
>
> You use the "refactoring" designation quite conveniently. Your
> refactoring is not a refactoring, it is a rewrite. Since it replaces
> an existing component, it has no chance of being backported (as in:
> "replacing the existing component"). You can make it so that it can
> optionally be used by Tomcat 5.5.x users if you'd like, but that's
> about it.
>
> As you are fully aware, what Peter is talking about is a comparatively
> very small refactoring and extend the regular session implementation.
> This is also something you had agreed (and failed) to do a long time
> ago - since the initial implementation of the component, in fact.
Peter doesn't think so, this is his quote:
"Yes! As you look at the code duplication, a change at
DeltaManager/DeltaSession goes hand in hand with major changes at
ManagerBase/StandardManager/StandardSession. A lot of method must be
spilt. I think it is a refactoring to base and all manager subclasses."

> Rémy
ok, I'm done now :)
Filip