tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat & JDK for PDA arm processor
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:29:12 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> I'll try to find and make available my old Zaurus version of tomcat -
> but it's based on 3.3..
>
> For 5.x - it's not easy... First step is to choose a VM - if you go
> with full JDK ( i.e. using JamVM+classpath ) you could run tomcat as
> is ( or better - the single-jar version from sandbox), but it'll be
> very slow to start, and may run out of memory.
>
> I'm still working on a 'light' version - but it's going to take few
> more months at least. I gave up on repackaging the current code, there
> are too many deps - and I also gave up on 'coyote standalone', for
> different reasons I think both are dead ends. So I'm reviving an old
> idea - and try to create a light 'servlet facade' to coyote, based on
> the current code but removing most deps.

That's good. I'll also try to reduce a bit the size and memory usage of
the connectors.

The new Servlet 2.5 spec has more "enterprise" requirements, which makes
JNDI and JEE dependencies even harder to avoid. Support for these is
optional, but (as usual) regular webapps will start using them, so a
"web only" container will have more and more trouble running off the
shelf webapps.

> Using a standard browser and HTML for UI on a PDA is a good strategy,
> but you should start with a very light http server ( even java ) and
> specific code. I remember kHttpd - a very, very light http impl,
> compatible with J2ME as well ( but can work with small changes in
> regular VM ) - it's few Kb.

Specialized stuff tends to be smaller :)

Rémy