tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache Tomcat v5.5.17-beta Now Available
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:16:38 GMT
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, no problem.  So what's our consensus process going forward?  Same
> as before but with a formal vote to cut the release, and same
> announcements but calling it a "release  candidate" instead of a
> "release" ?

0. usual banter asking 'suppose trunk|branch x is good to go?'

1. roll a tarball

2. post to dev voting to release the package (as alpha/beta/final if you like).

3. tally, -then- post to users, announce'es etc (calling for an upgraded
    beta/final designation if you want the public to comment, nonbinding).

4. if you like, vote as a pmc to accept the new designation (or count pmc's
    votes on the thread 3. above), choosing it's 'final designation'.

Almost exactly what you do now, but the vote preceeds the 'team announces the
release of' post.

W.r.t. 5.5.17, get the vote done, I wouldn't bother with any special handling
at this point :)