tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache Tomcat v5.5.17-beta Now Available
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:24:26 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:
> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote in message
>
>>Whoa :)  I don't see a vote thread?
>>
>>alpha, beta, gamma, gold, it doesn't matter... any "tarball release" from
>>the
>>Apache Software Foundation must be preceeded by a vote.  <snip long
>>explanation>
>>

> Long established practice in Tomcat-land:  The 5.5.17 release is currently
> nothing but a tarball (and, so we call it Alpha).  Yoav will probably call a
> vote later in the week, or next.  At that point it will get a GA/Beta/Still
> Alpha rating.

Aye I understand that - I'm stating it's not valid at the ASF to push something
at Announce@ anylist until dev@ makes a (initial) decision, e.g. you could do
the first vote for alpha, second vote for beta, third vote for GA, or ballot all
three choices (choosing the 'best' rating with 3 +1 and more + than -, or what
have you).  How you vote is up to the project.  Not voting isn't a choice within
the foundation.  Essentially, the RM personally hangs their ass out to dry by
posting such an announcement, because the ASF protection ("It's -our- code, not
a specific individuals - yell at -us-, we'll duke it out in court etc") only
kicks in once the voting process is followed.

Bill