tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: configurable AJP Buffer Size
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:45:40 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:
> Just take a look at the AJP protocol documentation :
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/common/ajpv13a.html
>
> Packets sent from the server to the container begin with 0x1234.
> Packets sent from the container to the server begin with AB (that's
> the ASCII code for A followed by the ASCII code for B). After those
> first two bytes, there is an integer (encoded as above) with the
> length of the payload. Although this might suggest that the maximum
> payload could be as large as 2^16, in fact, the code sets the maximum
> to be 8K.
>
> So to support more than 64k bytes, we should have a whole new code on
> Apache and Tomcat side and break compatibility with all current
> implementations. And that's bad ;(

We recently saw a customer run into this limitation in that all of their
headers, etc, would not fit in the first 8K.

Waiting for a new AJP version sounds like a non-starter.  Can we just
have something like a JkOption that allows one to explicitly opt into
this arrangement?  Address this for mod_jk and Tomcat and one is done
for now (though a mod_proxy_ajp shouldn't be far behind).
> Take a look at the AJP13 extension proposal :
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/common/ajpv13ext.html
>
> We could plug many usefull informations in LOGIN INIT for example !

These proposals all look interesting.  The problem is that there are
lots of proposals and this would seem to inevitably take quite some time
to stabilize all of this in mod_jk, mod_proxy_ajp, and Tomcat (native
and Java).  I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

--
Jess Holle