tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Refactorings
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:26:12 GMT
Hola,

> a better abstraction in place, so people who don't need APR but like to use
> NIO can
> do this in their trees.

Yeah.  And in general remaining a pure Java scenario for those who
don't want the APR dependency.

> - the "classes" folders allow patching (which of course may not be that
> > useful)
>

> Did we ever did such a patch in the last 5 years ? How would it interact
> with
> package sealing ? etc.

I routinely see users and companies using the classes folders for
patches not integrated into the Tomcat distro and for trying out
little enhancements, bug fixes, etc.  I use it myself sometimes for
testing patches and bug fixes before I commit them.  It's a handy
tool.

> Well - I guess I don't mind it too much as long as there is a simpler
> alternative ( like
> the single-jar ) for people who don't need the extra complexity.

Yes, +1.

Yoav