tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Refactorings
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:05:12 GMT
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Yeah.  And in general remaining a pure Java scenario for those who
> don't want the APR dependency.

Sure, I have no problem with that (I do have a problem with that in my
branch, though, as I think people who are doing real production web
stuff right now are ok with an APR dependency, as long as it has some
benefits). I added back support for the Java HTTP connector (minus
HTTPS) for development purposes.

As I said, I have no intention of doing any refactoring to this, or use
any of the refactorings that may occur in the Tomcat 6 branch. My post
was to show a refactoring method where I first modified the endpoints to
look similar before extracting a superclass, by opposition to extracting
a superclass first and then try to make the endpoints fit that model.

>> - the "classes" folders allow patching (which of course may not be that
>>> useful)
>>
>> Did we ever did such a patch in the last 5 years ? How would it interact
>> with
>> package sealing ? etc.
>
> I routinely see users and companies using the classes folders for
> patches not integrated into the Tomcat distro and for trying out
> little enhancements, bug fixes, etc.  I use it myself sometimes for
> testing patches and bug fixes before I commit them.  It's a handy
> tool.

Yes. Maybe we could use a small trick to provide the same functionality
with fewer folders. For example, JBoss puts most of its folders on the
classpath (this includes the folders where the JARs are located, the
"conf" folders, etc). I don't see any reason to change the internal
Catalina code, as the classloaders are easily configurable using
catalina.properties.

Example simpler catalina.properties which could be used (I didn't test,
so maybe it doesn't work yet):

common.loader=${catalina.home}/lib,${catalina.home}/lib/*.jar
server.loader=
shared.loader=

Rémy