tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 source organisation
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:44:52 GMT
Why would you want to change ant ???

Re. source folders versus modules - we can have both of them, it's not
exclusive.
Single source tree makes it easy to navigate, more IDE-friendly, etc.
The build file can compile as many modules as needed - either by compiling a
subset of the tree, or by compiling the entire tree and generating
several modules.

IMO it is a bad practice to scatter sources around without very good reason.
JDK sources don't seem to be scattered in modules like 'io', 'net',
but in packages,
and modules for platform-specific stuff.

Having a single source tree would also greatly simplify the ant file,
and with eclipse
it can completely skip the compilation task ( i.e. if the ant file
uses the same build/classes
dir as eclipse, it'll detect the already-compiled classes and just
create the jars, while
eclipse can keep the source updated on save ).

Costin