tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Rossbach ...@objektpark.de>
Subject Re: Cluster maintenance and improvement
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:23:41 GMT
Many thanks!

I thing the best way is to move the new cluster implementation at a
new cluster2 module.
With the current cluster build system it is easy to generate and copy
the calalina-cluster.jar to tomcat local build directory.

The only problem currently is ClusterRuleSet must be move from
catalina core to the cluster module.

Peter

Am 23.02.2006 um 16:50 schrieb Remy Maucherat:

> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> Rainer, all are very good thoughts. Here is why I opt we still
>> move forward
>> 1. If we don't primary/secondary will not be available until TC.6
>> 2. TC 6 doesn't have a skeleton nor a date yet.
>
> It could have that tomorrow.

Great!
>> 3. Many people are opting out of clustering today because of lack
>> of primary/sec. all-to-all is too inefficient for the general public
>
> JBoss clustering doesn't have primary/sec, and many people are
> still using it. It would be a useful feature for sure, but not
> having it doesn't mean people aren't going to use clustering.

I also have a lot of customer that work very succesful without
primary/sec.
>> 4. Many of the needed features needed for a more complete
>> clustering solution are not possible today due to the tight
>> coupling between components.
>> 5. The instability caused in 5.5.10-5.5.14 could have easily been
>> detected and should have not lasted for four releases. I doubt we
>> should see that again.
>
> Personally, I've had the impression that virtually all builds had
> issues of some sort, although 5.5.9 might have been fine.
>
>> 6. I'm ready and have the time and commitment to support any
>> changes I make. I am happy to have a 5.5.15-cluster branch for bug
>> fixes
>>   This way when 5.5.16 comes out, the users can choose which one
>> to use. But I would be stretching myself thin trying to maintain
>> two code bases. This maintenance branch is easy to create, just
>> branch the entire cluster module plus ClusterRuleSet.java, and it
>> is complete.
>> The main reason being that I don't think I would want to wait for
>> TC6 to provide primary/secondary replication. I also don't think
>> that users wanting more features should suffer because of previous
>> lack of testing.
>> To delay this out of plain "fear of breaking" doesn't seem
>> reasonable to me, if the code base is so messed up that we are too
>> afraid to "touch" it, then it needs to be fixed sooner than later.
>> I have no problem putting this up for a vote, but so far, the only
>> justifications are concerns, when I believe I can offer more
>> features and an easier codebase to maintain.
>
> I agree with Peter: it's obvious no one should be doing major
> refactoring of existing components in 5.5.x. You could create a
> separate "cluster2" module if you still want to do the work in
> Tomcat 5.5.x, however.

+1