tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Darwin <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 source organisation
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:05:49 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Re. source folders versus modules - we can have both of them, it's not
> exclusive.
> Single source tree makes it easy to navigate, more IDE-friendly, etc.
> The build file can compile as many modules as needed - either by compiling a
> subset of the tree, or by compiling the entire tree and generating
> several modules.
> Having a single source tree would also greatly simplify the ant file,
> and with eclipse
> it can completely skip the compilation task ( i.e. if the ant file
> uses the same build/classes
> dir as eclipse, it'll detect the already-compiled classes and just
> create the jars, while
> eclipse can keep the source updated on save ).
I agree - single top-level directory, everything in place under that,
much easier to build with an IDE, and the benefit Costin mentioned
about saving compile time (since Eclipse by default saves a .class
when you save (and for each imported)  .java file...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message