tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cluster maintenance and improvement
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:50:43 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> Rainer, all are very good thoughts. Here is why I opt we still move forward
>
> 1. If we don't primary/secondary will not be available until TC.6
> 2. TC 6 doesn't have a skeleton nor a date yet.

It could have that tomorrow.

> 3. Many people are opting out of clustering today because of lack of
> primary/sec. all-to-all is too inefficient for the general public

JBoss clustering doesn't have primary/sec, and many people are still
using it. It would be a useful feature for sure, but not having it
doesn't mean people aren't going to use clustering.

> 4. Many of the needed features needed for a more complete clustering
> solution are not possible today due to the tight coupling between
> components.
> 5. The instability caused in 5.5.10-5.5.14 could have easily been
> detected and should have not lasted for four releases. I doubt we should
> see that again.

Personally, I've had the impression that virtually all builds had issues
of some sort, although 5.5.9 might have been fine.

> 6. I'm ready and have the time and commitment to support any changes I
> make. I am happy to have a 5.5.15-cluster branch for bug fixes
>   This way when 5.5.16 comes out, the users can choose which one to use.
> But I would be stretching myself thin trying to maintain two code bases.
> This maintenance branch is easy to create, just branch the entire
> cluster module plus ClusterRuleSet.java, and it is complete.
>
> The main reason being that I don't think I would want to wait for TC6 to
> provide primary/secondary replication. I also don't think that users
> wanting more features should suffer because of previous lack of testing.
>
> To delay this out of plain "fear of breaking" doesn't seem reasonable to
> me, if the code base is so messed up that we are too afraid to "touch"
> it, then it needs to be fixed sooner than later.
>
> I have no problem putting this up for a vote, but so far, the only
> justifications are concerns, when I believe I can offer more features
> and an easier codebase to maintain.

I agree with Peter: it's obvious no one should be doing major
refactoring of existing components in 5.5.x. You could create a separate
"cluster2" module if you still want to do the work in Tomcat 5.5.x, however.

Rémy