tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: svn commit: r371765 - /tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/connector/Response.java
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:35:27 GMT

Bill Barker wrote On 02/02/06 11:32,:

> [...]

I don't think you are misunderstanding the spec.

See the following javadocs snippets from ServletResponse:

    public String getCharacterEncoding():

     * If no character encoding
     * has been specified, <code>ISO-8859-1</code> is returned.

    public PrintWriter getWriter() throws IOException:

     * If the response's character encoding has not been
     * specified as described in <code>getCharacterEncoding</code>
     * (i.e., the method just returns the default value
     * updates it to <code>ISO-8859-1</code>.

    public void setCharacterEncoding(String charset):

     * <p>Containers *must* communicate the character encoding used for
     * the servlet response's writer to the client if the protocol
     * provides a way for doing so. In the case of HTTP, the character
     * encoding is communicated as part of the <code>Content-Type</code>
     * header for text media types.

Jan

>>Rémy

> This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the intended
recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are
not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment.
If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then
delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

> In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the Internet
(unencrypted) e-mail.