tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r371765 - /tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/connector/
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 12:01:49 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:
> Yes, RFC 2616 does specify iso-latin-1 as the default for HTTP/1.1 clients.
> However, section 3.4.1 is also relevant for HTTP/1.0 clients (like, say, the
> TCK :).  In any case, it doesn't matter since section 5.4 of the servlet
> spec says "must".  Complaints go to the expert group;  here we just develop
> Tomcat.

Ok, so I asked the expert group, and many people interpret the
specification as I do (and is logical to do): if the application uses a
writer, and never specifies the charset in any way, the container has no
business rewriting the content-type header to include ";charset=ISO-8859-1".

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message