tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject RE: New EL - Split Off from Tomcat 6
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:30:35 GMT

IMHO, 'maintainer' is an over statement ;-).  However, it's probably true
that it would have trouble getting it's 3 +1s for a release in commons
(since even commons-logging can't manage that :).  I'd be +1 to branching it
back into Tomcat.

> If EL has a lot of indepenent developers who are not interested in the
> rest of tomcat ( so
> it doesn't make sense to add them to tomcat project ) - then yes, +1
> on splitting it
> to a separate sub-project or jakarta-commons.

You could try putting a copy of EL in the Jakarta commons-sandbox, and see
if it gets a community.  If it does, than that's probably better for
everyone.  If it doesn't, then there would never be a release of it
independent of Tomcat anyway.

> Until this happens - I think it should be in the same source tree with
> everything else.
>
> The fact that it has it's own specification or deps is not an issue -
> each component
> of tomcat has it's own evolution and might be released independently
> or with the bundle.
> We made this argument for connector, jasper, container, etc -
> I don't think it
> helped in any way to have each of them as a separate module, and I
> don't think it helped
> anyone to have modeler in jakarta-commons.
>
> Again - we can release any package we want, and we should
> start doing that.
>
> Right now we release few packaging variations of jakarta-tomcat - IMO
> we should start
> releasing things like 'el', modeler, maybe standalone jasper compiler,
> maybe standalone connector, cluster module, etc.

Well, a couple of projects use Jasper independently of Tomcat.  For the
others, I don't really see the point (and Jasper is a bit under-maintained
at the moment :).

> Costin
>
> On 2/27/06, Jacob Hookom <jacob@hookom.net> wrote:
> > I would like to suggest splitting EL off as a separate library from
> > Tomcat.  The EL-API is expected to rev in it's own
> specification in the
> > future.  It is not have any dependencies on the Servlet API
> or JSP API
> > and can be utilized in the same fashion as the commons-el project.
> >
> > --
> > Jacob Hookom  -  Minneapolis

of this message and any attachments.

(unencrypted) e-mail.