tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Response not flushed before RD.forward() returns]
Date Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:45:30 GMT

"Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org> wrote in message
news:43D23B54.60606@apache.org...
> Bill Barker wrote:
>> Yeah, it's pretty much a fatal flaw in the Catalina design.  It's
>> currently impossible for Catalina to satisfy both the requirements for
>> error-pages and forwards.
>
> Given the amount of people who have complained about this behavior which
> has been present from the beginning of the Catalina architecture, "fatal"
> is likely much too strong. However, I don't see any other way to do this
> stuff, and I also don't see it as being worth even attempting to fix.

Yeah, "fatal" is probably too strong (of course, there are five or so years
of record that I'm not a big fan of Catalina, so I probably overstated it
:).

To "fix" it (without changing the Catalina architecture) would probably
require duplicating the StandardHostValve stuff in ApplicationFilterChain
(which would be just too horrible).  And, since as Jan has noted, the spec
is grey (or, rather, inconsistant) on this requirement,  I'm +1 to your -1
;-).

Of course, if this gets clarified against us in the final 2.5 spec, then
we'll have to do it for Tomcat 6.