tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r371765 - /tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/connector/Response.java
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:55:44 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:
> It's relevant to the browser trying to display the code.  If you've
> configured your browser's default encoding to EUC-JP, without the charset
> you'll see a big mess when you hit a latin-1 page ;-).

Obviously, this would only impact the case where ;charset=ISO-8859-1
would be forcefully added to the content-type header for no good reason
when the user didn't specify any. This is the HTTP default encoding, and
will not change the behavior from the user perspective.

> Yup, that's what it means :).  I'm sure you've played the blame-game by now,
> and I'm not interested enough to do it myself.  It looks like it's trying to
> avoid computing the entire header value each time the characterEncoding
> changes.

This whole thing is a huge mess right now. Hopefully, it's doing what it
should. You can also for example compare
o.a.c.connector.Response.setContentType with
o.a.coyote.Response.setContentType. I have to suppose substring and
concatenation is a very cool activity.

Rémy