tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r371765 - /tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/connector/Response.java
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:52:10 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:
>> Author: remm
>> Date: Mon Jan 23 17:13:19 2006
>> New Revision: 371765

>> Log:
>> - Remove nonsensical systematic inclusion on ISO-8859-1
>> charset in the content type, which is noth
>>   useless and inefficient.
>>

> -1
> Sending the charset used by the Writer is very clearly required by the
> servlet spec.

Thanks, I expected no less coming from you :) I will revert my patch.

A couple questions for your enjoyment:
1) Is this relevant or irrelevant from the HTTP specification perspective ?
2) Does this mean we're running the following ultra efficient code (I
don't even know why I accepted this stuff back then. It must have been
that this has been done gradually through many many commits) for each
request that uses a writer ?

     public String getContentType() {

         String ret = contentType;

         if (ret != null
             && characterEncoding != null
             && charsetSet) {
             ret = ret + ";charset=" + characterEncoding;
         }

         return ret;
     }

Rémy