tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Response not flushed before RD.forward() returns
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:07:03 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:
> Without ever actually having looked at ResponseFacade, I'd always assumed
> that ResponseFacade.finish called Response.finishResponse.  And I would have
> been wrong ;-).  This would have done the commit/send/close properly.

It has always been like this: processing for error pages and status
report pages has to occur later. It's the same for other similarly
worded mechanisms, such as sendError, sendRedirect, etc.

> I don't have time right now to dig through the SVN logs to see why it's this
> way, but suspended doesn't really look good enough to satisfy the spec.

It is the best and only acceptable behavior from a usability standpoint,
however.

There are other areas where I think implementing the letter of the
specification turned out completely wrong, such as the charset handling
that Jan implemented some time before (aka, forcing the addition of a
charset even if none was specified whenever a writer is being used).

Rémy