tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r371765 - /tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/connector/Response.java
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:48:31 GMT

It's relevant to the browser trying to display the code.  If you've
configured your browser's default encoding to EUC-JP, without the charset
you'll see a big mess when you hit a latin-1 page ;-).

> 2) Does this mean we're running the following ultra efficient code (I
> don't even know why I accepted this stuff back then. It must
> have been
> that this has been done gradually through many many commits) for each
> request that uses a writer ?

Yup, that's what it means :).  I'm sure you've played the blame-game by now,
and I'm not interested enough to do it myself.  It looks like it's trying to
avoid computing the entire header value each time the characterEncoding
changes.

>      public String getContentType() {
>
>          String ret = contentType;
>
>          if (ret != null
>              && characterEncoding != null
>              && charsetSet) {
>              ret = ret + ";charset=" + characterEncoding;
>          }
>
>          return ret;
>      }
>
> Rémy