tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 plans (JSP 2.1)
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:17:06 GMT
Hi,
I actually meant smaller in terms of file size (both downloaded
distributions and actual jars or executables), number of files (both
source code and configuration/support files), directories, etc.  I do
think the out-of-the-box footprint is already pretty good, especially
when dependencies like the JVM's rt.jar are considered.

As to Allistair's comment: you might be surprised by how many of us
care about supporting stuff like JMX instrumentation ;)  I think it's
fair to say we all use Tomcat, and I imagine virtually all of us have
to deal with either system administrator who live by this "supporting
stuff" and bug us about it, or at least customers who ask about it
fairly routinely...  The key is getting the time bandwidth to do
stuff.

Yoav

On 12/22/05, Henri Gomez <henri.gomez@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well a Tomcat will a small memory footprint is also very interesting for me :)
>
> For guidelines on how to use it ?
>
> 2005/12/22, Yoav Shapira <yoavs@apache.org>:
> > I'm willing to help...
> >
> > Yoav
> >
> > On 12/21/05, Costin Manolache <costin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Well, it's not about 'vote' or plans, it's more about what people have
> > > time to do.
> > >
> > > I have checked in the build files for a 'standalone' tomcat in the
> > > sandbox, I've been using the single jar almost exclusively, seems to
> > > work fine. But I have a feeling I'm the only one interested in this
> > > :-). Removing more features to make it really minimal is quite simple,
> > > but requires testing and a bit of work. I don't think we need any new
> > > code - just small adjustments and different packaging - and a bit of
> > > will.
> > >
> > > Costin

I think