tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TC 5.5.12 WARNING: A docBase XXX inside the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:26:12 GMT
Hi,

>     Great idea-- where can I find this method
> ServletContext.getContextName? It appears non-existent. There is a
> method ServletContext.getServletContextName()

That's the method I meant, but I'd forgotten it returns the
description and not the name.  getServletPath("") is a hack as you
noted, and also will return null if running the app from a packaged
WAR, so it's not a good idea anyways.

Why is the app name hard-coded?  Can you get around the hard-coding
with ServletContext.getResource-type calls, which run off the docBase
by default?

>     Hmm, can you tell me where this convention is defined anywhere? This
> is not just a problem for my portal but a few others out there that have
> presented instructions that no longer work.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to update the instructions for 5.5, e.g. by
taking out the Logger element, if it is present.

> If say three portal projects including Pluto and Jetspeed claim this is a problem can
it be
> considered a bug?

If they explain their desired functionality exactly, we can certainly
discuss it further.  I still wouldn't call it a bug because it's
functioning as designed for 5.5 (as noted previously, this is slightly
different from 5.0).

--
Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow