tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 plans (JSP 2.1)
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:51:46 GMT
I would really like to have something more modular too - I understand
that NIO and the
other connector stuff is unlikely to see the main branch, but I think
'minimal standalone + modules'  deserves a chance.

Even if we continue to ship by default a bloated tomcat, with all the
features anyone can think of or ever wanted - having those features
organized like modules would make a lot of things easier and better.

Almost all important platforms are designed this way - apache,  jboss,
firefox, etc, it would be time for tomcat as well..

By minimal standalone tomcat I mean: coyote http11 + servlet + jsp +
minimal set of valves to have a TCK-accepted container. Modules ==
jdbc authenticators, load balancing, ssl, jk, even APR, and anything
that could be eventually released or upgraded independently.

Costin