tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 6 plans (JSP 2.1)
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:19:23 GMT
Personally I am a fan of the light-weight approach. Using Tomcat but
adding "enterprise" value at webapp level with Spring and Hibernate has
been a fantastic combination for us. I've not delved into EJB3 much but
I hear it's just POJO CMP stuff which Hibernate does.

If Tomcat could just provide more support in the
management/instrumentation/clustering and deployment areas I'd be a
happy chappy.

Allistair.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jess Holle [mailto:jessh@ptc.com]
Sent: 22 December 2005 16:08
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 6 plans (JSP 2.1)

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> I don't see a big difference with Tomcat, which is also an appserver
> (hopefully, you don't associate EJB <-> appserver, because if you do,
> I'm not talking to you ever again :) ). Marketting is king, though,
> and I understand the desire to look like a rebel and refuse the "big
> fat appserver" in favor of a random set of "independent" components
> which in the end do and are actually the exact same thing. Unless the
> appserver is monolithic, but that's not the current trend (but even if

> it is, sometimes they are actually small).

I personally don't associate EJB with app server *but* that's clearly
the marketing trend.  To be a certified J2EE app server you have to
support EJBs, all app server marketing rags, etc, are 100% EJB centric,
etc, etc.

Now that EJB 3 is solidifying I can see a lot broader applicability to
EJBs, but I still don't personally buy the monolithic notion of J2EE (or
JEE) app server.  I know JBoss does not have to be deployed this way.
The J2EE certification, marketing, etc, all treats this as a monolithic
stack, though -- which seems unfortunate...

--
Jess Holle

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055