tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 plans (JSP 2.1)
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:39:20 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:
> Well memory is not the only point, faster start and less class to be
> loaded is also very important for me. In my company we're still using
> Tomcat 3.3.2 on our production servers (iSeries) since they are quite
> fast to start and that's very important when you have at the same time
> not less than 20 or 25 instances of Tomcat starting in its own JVM
> (one tomcat for a customer since the applications hosted have
> differents life cycle and constraint).

Did you actually compare memory usage of an JVM instance with 3.3.2 with
5.5.14/APR (using APR and AJP will make the thread count much lower
which should save you a decent amount of memory - see the appropriate
parameters for the connector) ?

As for faster start, sorry, there is not much that can be done: the spec
requires a lot of stuff now, and modern webapps actually tend to do much
more than Tomcat itself.

Rémy