tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 plans (JSP 2.1)
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:08:26 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> I don't see a big difference with Tomcat, which is also an appserver
> (hopefully, you don't associate EJB <-> appserver, because if you do,
> I'm not talking to you ever again :) ). Marketting is king, though,
> and I understand the desire to look like a rebel and refuse the "big
> fat appserver" in favor of a random set of "independent" components
> which in the end do and are actually the exact same thing. Unless the
> appserver is monolithic, but that's not the current trend (but even if
> it is, sometimes they are actually small).

I personally don't associate EJB with app server *but* that's clearly
the marketing trend.  To be a certified J2EE app server you have to
support EJBs, all app server marketing rags, etc, are 100% EJB centric,
etc, etc.

Now that EJB 3 is solidifying I can see a lot broader applicability to
EJBs, but I still don't personally buy the monolithic notion of J2EE (or
JEE) app server.  I know JBoss does not have to be deployed this way.
The J2EE certification, marketing, etc, all treats this as a monolithic
stack, though -- which seems unfortunate...

--
Jess Holle